Enough for 6 to 10 servings (for pork, beef or chicken)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, grated or finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. Brown sugar.
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 & 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup ( 4 oz) melted bittersweet Daniel Le Chocolat Belge chocolate
- 1 tbsp. Fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp. Prepared or dry mustard
- 1 tsp. (approx) Hot pepper sauce or chopped 1/2 Scotch Bonnet hot pepper without the seeds.
- 1 tbsp. Chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. Chopped fresh thyme.
Coating: (optional but give a more chocolate flavour)
- 2 – 3 limes at room temperature to get more juice.
- 1/2 cup pure 100% Daniel Le Chocolat Belge cocoa powder
In a saucepan, over medium heat, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until shiny and clear in colour. Add the brown sugar and caramelized it by turning the heat to high cook until golden in colour. Sir in all the remaining ingredients (except the coating). Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes stirring constantly to prevent burning. Store in fridge for up to 1 month.
Sprinkle lime juice over the meat then sift or dust the meat with cocoa powder for a more intense chocolate taste. (this step is optional)
Cover with the barbecue sauce and grill over medium low heat until done. Enjoy!